Sunday, April 01, 2007

Our Bathroom, In Detail


Our bathroom is small. I hold the patinaed upright pipe that connects the pit to the cistern while squatting so that I may lean back a little and improve my flow. All the yoga in the world can't help me balance and shit straight at the same time. Only the cistern doesn't work, so I flush the toilet manually using the small bucket meant for washing your left hand in after using it to wipe your ass. I have yet to familiarize myself with this custom and continue my American practice of using toilet paper. However, there are many signs indicating that toilet paper is not to be put down the drains, and since I'm using my only bucket for flushing I put the used toilet paper in a grocery bag. I'm not sure what to do with the bag once it's full, and have have a lingering suspicion that my toilet and sink drain to the open gutter around my building anyway. It certainly smells that way. I guess wiping your ass with your hand is more sustainable than using the old TP.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, ok, there are many reasons why India is a third world country, at least the last time I looked it was, and this obviously is one. We may not have the politics right here but at least we got the bathrooms down!!!! Probably another reason why one does not shake hands there, at least I hope you aren't!!! Upon your return if you are spending excessive time in the bathroom I will certainly understand, no questions asked!!!!Bonnie