Tuesday, April 17, 2007

india, oh india

so, i haven't posted much about India.

her we go. . .

My time here is almost finished. I am excited to go home, but I am also very sad to leave. The Buddhist retreat was a very contemplative experience. I had a lot of time to think and learn. And for 10 days I didn't talk much( we were supposed to be silent except for in discussions) The silence was a little bit of a challenge, but it was very helpful for think about all the information from the lectures. The Buddhist religion is very interesting, but there are aspects of the Tibetan Buddhism that I am not sure about. Anyway- I met some really nice people even through we didn't talk to each other much.

So now that the retreat is over, I am taken it easy. We found a really cheap monastery guest house. The manager is so friendly and speck hardly any English. Today, he pointed out that the bucket I was using to wash cloths was broken. He said this over and over again while laughing. Then he came down and sat on our door step and washed me wash cloths. He gave me some pointers and then he started to ask me where I am from, again. I told him - America, but her really doesn't believe me. He thinks i am from South Africa. Most people here think I am from south Africa. and they drill holes in my forehead. but I feel more relaxed here than most places. I am not sure if this is because I am finally really getting accustom to India, or maybe this city is particularly nice. I think it is a combination.

we are in Dharamasala/McLeod Gang. It is a city on the side of a mountain. the view is beautiful. the weather is pretty nice here. I am waking up and doing yoga in the mornings. Really I have no complaints.

but Matthew might complain about the fact that I haven't taken a shower in 3 days. I find it hard to convince myself to clean off dirt that will jump right back on minutes after I get out of the shower. Or even while i am still in the shower! and we have to pay extra for hot showers. so I don't know if it is worth it. but don't worry I will take at least 3 more showers before I leave India. Maybe even more!!!!

Matthew and I have been together on this trip for a long time. People keep asking if we are married. No we are not, but I am not sure how we will function in the states when we are not 5 feet apart at all times.

I would also recommend people to read up on the Tibetan exile. It is a very moving story and it would motivate people to discourage the purchase of Chinese products. I don't have time to explain, but please read up on it. www.tibet.net/tgie/eng

OK, that's all for now

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Alison, I am so glad that you are having some "down" time before your return to the States. I keep saying to Matthew that the transition back to here is going to be difficult - I'm wondering if I should borrow some clothes from my Indian friend to great you at the airport so that the shock is not too great!!! You two have been velcroed since Sept. so that will be another adjustment - you are welcomed to stay as long as you'd like. You're on the home stretch now, what a great job you both have done - I'm so proud of you. Congratulations!
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison,
you are absolutely hilarious about the whole showering thing....mom would die laughing!
So cool that you're doing yoga in the mornings, you're gonna have to teach me some poses.
This was all such an amazing experience
but I'm so glad to finally see you!!!
love,
-ren