Friday, December 01, 2006

Thinking . . .

Speaking of my home: Being here I have a lot of time to think. I really miss things that are familiar. I'm not sure where exactly my home is because I haven't had a place to go back to - Maybe Rhode Island. What ever it is I miss it. I miss my family and I especially miss my dad. With all the thinking and remembering, it seems all my childhood memories involve my dad in someway. It also seems to me that my childhood ended when he died (I was 12). I know this is personal but this is what I've been thinking about. It's just crazy that so much time can pass by but you still remember certain things like you're back in time. I don't know how much Philip Croney it thought of by others, but on this trip I think about him daily. None of my friends have met him; so let me tell you a little about him:

He was very thin, quiet and handsome. He made our computer desks with only hand tools. He had his own pest control business. He roller-skated with us; held me up by my feet, helped make homemade ice cream and mattie. He would surprise me a school and have lunch with me. He listened to the Lion King sound track and dance around the basement. He got on especially well with my sister Renita. He came to my school a few times to do presentations on Guyana, South America. . . . The list goes on.

See- doesn't he sound like an amazing father.

Now you all know a little about him and maybe his memory with last a bit longer.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison, thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts about your dad - and yes, this is another way to keep his memory alive, pass it on. Sounds like he was there for his children in many ways, you are fortunate to have such memories. As I struggle now with my own father aging and failing, he is 90, it's a good reminder to me to hold on to the good thougths. Thank you. Bonnie