Thursday, February 22, 2007

Books that I have read

So Matthew is rapidly publishing post after post before we leave for India, so I feel that I should do my part to add to you everyday reading material. While traveling around I have amazed my self at how much I have read. In the past it has been very difficult for me to read books just for the sake of reading. But that has all changed now! SO here are some of my thoughts on the books that I have read, but I will try not to give too much away.

Australia reading:

Legacy of Luna

During out time at Windgrove I thumbed through many different books, but didn't start reading any until Matthew handed me the Legacy of Luna. He highly recommended it and since I listened to her speck at RISD, I thought it only made sense. The book was a quick read (I read it in 2 days) and it was extremely motivational. She writes in such a way that you are able to feel her ups and downs and her determination. I would say that if you every want to be motivated to change the world by tree sitting in a large Red Wood then you should definitely read the book!

Bend in the road
by Nicholas Sparks

This book a type of romance, detective novel. If you are in the middle of the bush with nothing much to do besides build some furniture and listen to the koalas, then it is a great read. Otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to read it. The plot is very predictable for the first half, then it takes unpredictable and somewhat unrealistic turns. I have to say that the book did hold my attention- not that it had anything else to compete with.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight


I have not really been an avid fantasy book reader. However I really do like reading books that require little effort to read and are very entertaining. I enjoy escaping into a complex different world. I have never read a dungeons and dragon book before, so I thought I would see what all the fuss is about. I was very entertained! The story was very complex and moving. The characters' personalities seems realistic and compelling. I was surprised at how many times there was a climax in the story that included fighting dragons and armies, but none of the good guys would die and a few pages later there would be another fight that seemed just as important if not more. Needless to say my emotions and adrenaline were constantly on a superman roller coaster. In the end the book was very enjoyable. It served it's purpose while I was at Wild Mountains and I was very sad when I turned the last page.

Lord of the Rings

As our time at Wild Mountains came to an end, I started reading the first of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I have watched the movies, but never saw the need to read the books. Since I was on a reading kick, Why not? So I started and at first it was a little difficult for me to get into, maybe because it seemed so daunting. But I quickly found myself obsessed and wanted to read as much as possible before i left. I regret that I was only able to finish part of the book and will have to pick it up again during another trip of sorts.



Water Touching Stone
by Elliot Pattison

I started this book at the beginning of our stay in Brisbane. I would say that so far this book has been one of the best reads. It is a fictional story based on the Tibetan struggle. The novel is made up of many different layers and I really liked the writing style. I mainly like the writing when I don't notice it, when the descriptions and the story pulls me into the books reality and I no long notice the words but am experiencing the tale. I encountered many feelings of happiness and extreme sadness. It is also a detective type of story- a former Beijing investigator tries to bring to light the mystery about dieing children, missing lamas, secret Americans and the secrets of the Muslim clans. the book encourages the reader to be very self-reflective. If you have the time, please do read.

One Hundred Years of Solitude


This book was quite long. It was entertaining, but didn't raise many questions. It mainly told the strange story of a family that started and ended the town of Macondo. If you like magical story telling then it is a good book.


The Tale of Geniji

I am currently reading The Tale od Genji. . .

0 comments: