Thursday, October 05, 2006

Macadamia Nuts


I have quite a good sense of the Macadamia nut industry now. For Four days we picked, husked, and shelled the nuts. The picking is by far the hardest because the trees are more like tall bushes than trees and you have to crane your neck to pull the nuts down, or stoop over to pick them up; a bit hard on the back, but you to get to climb up the trees to get at the top most nuts which is fun. The husking and shelling is all done by machine so all I had to do really was just make sure the machines kept running and picking out the bad nuts.

One day when we were shelling, Ginie, the woman we were staying with, says to me, "In the front of the ute there are some flexes, could you fetch them for me?" I had no idea what she was talking about but she pointed outside, so out I went. Now, she said in the front of so I figured the truck might be a good place to start, and lucky for me the only thing in the front of the truck were some extension cords, or flexes. Very funny.

0 comments: