Friday, September 01, 2006

In Defense Of Globalization

Yesterday I mentioned the book In Defense Of Globalization by Jagdish Bhagwati and have to admit I have stopped reading it. I thought the book would be an explanation of what Globalization really is and it’s positive effects on society, but halfway through the book I could tell this was not the case. Now the definition globalization is more blurred in my mind than when I started the book. Bhagwati put most of his attention into what globalization is not, and often through obscure analogies that contradict his intended message. I somehow kept thinking of the Ten Commandments and the crusades. While and excellent read if you can’t fall asleep at night I had to skip to the conclusion and move on. Bhagwati argues that anti-globalizationists and NGO’s don’t really understand what globalization is, but does little to make the case for globalization. I’ve yet to make up my mind on globalization, but have decided against this book.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you fund the book interesting